Mon evening club canoe polo sessions at Ullswater Yacht Club from start of June through till end of August:
6.30pm till 8pm is for people from the 3rd sessions at the pool (A squad team players). Get down earlier if you can and set up the goals (now got wheels on them so you can set up single handed) & pitch (or at least put the buoys out ready) & rubber launch mats.
8pm to 9pm is for people from the 1st & 2nd sessions at the pool (beginners and intermediates) ie you are coming at exactly the same time as the pool time. Please help clear away kit at end.
Thurs evening Canoe Polo sessions (@UYC):-
These are team training sessions for fitness and team tactics. All are welcome, but they are not coached sessions, so it is assumed you can look after yourself ie roll if capsized.
These are included in your monthly direct debit payment as we pay an anual fee & don't pay extra for 2 evenings per week. We will sometimes invite other clubs to train against.
These Thurs evening sessions will continue through to October, when light fades and it gets too cold. However, at start of september, the boats and paddles will move back to the pool, so you need to organise your own.
If you want to canoe at UYC on other days, you need to join UYC.
Equipment: We have a trailer down at UYC, with polo kayaks, paddles, buoyancy aids, helmets and spraydecks in it, as per at the pool. There are also some canoe cags. It will obviously often be colder than paddling in the pool. A fleece top and waterproof / windproof top are a good idea. If you think you are likely to capsize/swim, a wetsuit is a good idea as the lake water is cold in early summer! However, most polo players don’t wear one as they get too hot.
Facilities: There are changing rooms and toilets available with showers. The clubhouse is open for changing and shower facilities on a Mon & Thurs evenings. If friends and family want to bring a barbeque down, there is a fixed one that anybody can use. The pitch and playing area is right outside the clubhouse, so it provides good spectator sport. We have preplaced anchors for the pitch to fasten to. The goals fasten to the jetties. There is parking available on site.
- There will be a couple of dates not available during the summer, due to sailing schools and regattas. We’ll post those dates on the website and facebook.
- If you want to go down on other nights/days than Mon & Thurs evenings, you will have to join the Yacht Club.
- Equipment will not be available for borrowing outside of club nights during the summer, as we want it to be there for club nights (exceptions for Liverpool, Hull & London tournaments, as a lot of club members will be going there).
- We are down there to play polo and learn to kayak. As a club, we pay the yacht club an annual fee for the use of their facilities and as such canoe club nights are for kayaking & polo. We do not want to have to supervise swimming. Coaches pay just as much as everyone else and want to play polo and train during their session, not supervise others who are waiting. It is not appropriate to be jumping off the jetty and swimming. If you want to do that, the whole of the rest of the lake is available. Please do not bring friends & family down to UYC to swim. Also, friends and family bringing other kayaks down to go on the lake can only do so if they are members of Penrith Canoe Club and taking part in a planned lake skills session (contact Paul Wilson) or Ullswater yacht club, otherwise our insurance doesn't cover them.
- We have a very good relationship with the yacht club who have been very accomodating. If any issues arise, please let a committee member know, so we can sort it out & avoid problems.